energy, radiator

How to save money on your energy bills and what support there is to help you pay the bills 

On this page

What’s happening to energy bills from January?

From 1 January 2024 the ‘Energy Price Cap’ will rise by about 5%, so a household with a typical consumption on dual electricity and gas will pay: 
  • £1,928 a year if they pay by direct debit 
  • £2,058 if they pay by standard credit (on receipt of bill)
  • £1,960 if they have a prepayment meter.
The Energy Price Cap, which is set by the energy regulator Ofgem, is the maximum amount your supplier can charge you for a single unit of gas or electricity if you’re on a standard variable tariff
How this affects what you’ll pay for gas and electricity depends on the tariff you’re on. If you're not sure what tariff you're on, check your energy bills or contact your energy supplier.
If you're on your supplier's 'default tariff', this is the same as a standard variable tariff. You’re probably on a default tariff if you haven’t switched suppliers in the last year, or you’ve never checked what tariff you’re on.
If you’re on a standard variable tariff
From 1 January 2024, the average energy bill for a household on a default tariff, or standard variable tariff, paying by direct debit will be around £1,928 per year but remember even if you are on a default tariff your bill will be determined by how much energy you use, so if you use more gas or electric your bill will be more than £1,928.  
Ofgem will review the Energy Price Cap for bills from 1 April 2024 - this means the price of energy might change again. This will be announced by 23 February 2024.
If you’re not on a default / standard variable tariff, for example you’re on a fixed tariff or a time-of-use tariff then contact your supplier to check how your bills will change after 1 January 2024.

What support and financial help is still available towards energy bills and the cost of living?

You can get help if you’re struggling to afford your energy bills, or top up your prepayment meter. You might also be able to get certain benefits, grants and help offered by the government and energy suppliers.
Government support - Cost of Living Payments 2023 to 2024
You may be able to get up to 5 payments to help with the cost of living if you’re getting certain benefits or tax credits.
You do not need to apply. If you’re eligible, you’ll be paid automatically in the same way you usually get your benefit or tax credits. This includes if you’re found to be eligible at a later date.
If you have had a message asking you to apply or contact someone about the payment, this might be a scam.
These payments are not taxable and will not affect the benefits or tax credits you get.
  • Low income benefits and tax credits Cost of Living Payments
You may be entitled to up to 3 Cost of Living Payments of around £300 each (they will actual be paid as £301, £300 and £299) if you get certain benefits or tax credits, such as Universal Credit, Income Support, or Working Tax Credits (you can find a full list of qualifying benefits and tax credits here) on certain dates.  
The payment will be made separately from your benefit payments.
If you’re entitled, you will get:
  • £301 paid between 25 April 2023 and 17 May 2023 for most people 
  • £300 paid during autumn 2023 for most people
  • £299 paid between 6 and 22 February 2024 for most people.
If you have a joint claim on the qualifying dates, a single payment of £301, £300 and £299 will be sent using the same payment method used between these dates, if you’re eligible.
  • £150 Disability Cost of Living Payment
Around six million people across the UK who receive the certain disability benefits, such as DLA, PIP and Attendance Allowance will receive a one-off payment of £150. Most people will have been paid the £150 Disability Cost of Living Payment during summer 2023. The government will make these payments directly to eligible people across the UK.
  • Pensioner Cost of Living Payment
If you’re entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2023 to 2024, you will get an extra £150 or £300 paid with your normal payment from November 2023.
The full amount of Winter Fuel Payment (including the Pensioner Cost of Living Payment) you will get for winter 2023 to 2024 depends on when you were born and your circumstances during the qualifying dates. 
You should be sent a letter in October or November telling you how much Winter Fuel Payment you’ll get if you’re eligible. If you do not get a letter but think you are eligible, check if you need to make a claim.
The deadline for you to make a claim for winter 2023 to 2024 is 31 March 2024.
Extension of Household Support Fund
The Government is also providing £842 million of support, via the Household Support Fund, running from 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024. The Household Support Fund helps those in most need with payments towards the rising cost of food, energy, and water bills. The Household Support Fund is administered by local councils in England, and eligibility will be determined by individual councils. Further information is available directly from Wiltshire Council.
You can find more detailed information about all the Cost of living support from the Government, including examples of how much money you could receive, depending on your circumstances and what benefits make you eligible for which Cost of living payments on
Other support you may be eligible for: 
Warm Home Discount: This gives you money off your electricity bill if you’re on a low income.
If you get benefits, you might be able to get £150 off your electricity bill or £150 added to your prepayment meter. If you, or your partner get the guaranteed element of pension credit, you should get the discount.
Check with your supplier to see if they offer the Warm Home Discount because not all of them do. You can only get the discount if your supplier is in the scheme. You don’t need to apply for the scheme - payments are automatic.
You might also be able to get the Warm Home Discount if you get a different benefit and the government decides you have 'high energy costs'. They'll work this out automatically - you don't need to contact them. 
Winter Fuel Payment: This is an annual one-off payment to help you pay for heating during the winter.
You can usually get a Winter Fuel Payment if you were born on or before 25 September 1957. If you’re eligible, you should get this automatically. 
You’ll automatically get an extra 'pensioner cost of living payment' with your usual Winter Fuel Payment in either November or December 2023.
You should start getting the Winter Fuel Payment automatically once you reach State Pension age, but sometimes you might need to apply. You can find out how to apply for the Winter Fuel Payment on GOV.UK.
Cold Weather Payments: Cold Weather Payments are one-off payments to help you pay for extra heating costs when it’s very cold. You’ll get a payment each time the temperature drops below a specific temperature for a set period of time. You’ll only be eligible for a Cold Weather Payment if you already get certain benefits. If you're eligible, you should get paid automatically. Find out more about Cold Weather Payments on GOV.UK.
Get support from your energy supplier: Call your supplier and ask them if they offer any grants to help with your energy bills. Even if you’re not eligible for grants, suppliers still need to support you to manage your payments based on what you can afford. Depending on your circumstances, they may also offer you a referral for independent debt support or energy efficiency advice. They may also be able to offer you temporary credit for your prepay meter that you’ll need to repay.
Local energy grants and support:
Surviving Winter Grant: The Surviving Winter grant can provide households with £200 to help with winter fuel costs. Grants are made from funds raised by the Wiltshire Community Foundation’s annual Surviving Winter campaign. If you are of pensionable age or​ have a long-term health condition which is exacerbated by the cold weather and are on a low income you may be eligible for support through the Surviving Winter programme. To find out more please contact:
  • Age UK Wiltshire - if you are of pensionable age on 0808 196 2424 
  • Warm and Safe Winter - if you are working age on 0800 038 5722 
Fuel vouchers: If you can't afford to top up your prepayment meter you might be able to get a fuel voucher. You can contact us at Wiltshire Citizens Advice for more details about this. We can also help with food bank vouchers too. 
Local Social Welfare Support: Wiltshire Council has a local welfare provision scheme that provides critical short-term help and assistance with limited one-off household goods. For full details, or to apply visit:
Warm and Safe Wiltshire: Provides fuel poverty support for those most in need - for households of working age earning less than the Real Living Wage and have anxiety, poor mental health, or are visually impaired, hard of hearing, or are from Boater or Traveller communities. Eligible residents can contact Warm and Safe Wiltshire on 0800 038 5722 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Is there anything more I can do to save money on energy?
There are some simple things you can do to save some money on your energy bills. They won’t cover all the extra costs, but they can make a difference.

Energy saving tips

Here's our five winter warmer tips:
1. Turn down your thermostat by 1°C and save around £105 a year on energy bills.
But to keep comfortable and stay safe we recommend staying above 18°C.
2. Switch your heating off when leaving the house for a few hours.
It’s cheaper to reheat your home than keep your heating on low when you’re out, unless you own a heat pump.
3. Keep the heat in: Fit draught-proofing strips to your windows and doors and save around £45 a year.
This can be a quick DIY job. Keeping extra heat in your home will leave you feeling warmer and more comfortable.
4. Get a hot water cylinder jacket and save roughly £50 a year on energy bills.
Jackets are easy to fit, typically cost under £30, and you’ll also spend less on a hot shower or bath in the future.
5. Keep furniture away from radiators and heaters to feel warmer at home.
Don’t overwork your system by blocking your source of heat and remember to remove radiator covers to get more value for money.
For more tips on saving energy, visit the Energy Saving Trust website.

Need advice?

We know this is a stressful and worrying time. We’re encouraging people to consider small ways they can make savings at home wherever possible and make sure they’re getting all the support they’re entitled to.
If you’re struggling, worried you might not be able to afford to top up your meter, or pay your bills, or are having any issues with your energy supplier, don’t hesitate to contact us so that we can help you find a way forward.
Call us on freephone 0800 144 8848 (Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm) or email us for support and advice.
First published 9 January 2024. 

Citizens Advice Wiltshire

Latest service update - March 2024

We’re a local charity that gives advice over the phone, by email and on web chat, while reserving our face to face support for when it's most needed.

However, we are not running a drop-in service, so please call us, or email us first. This way we can work out how best to help.

Here’s how to get in touch...

Signage web

How can we help?

whatever the problem, we're here Get advice online

Get advice by phone

Call freephone 0808 278 7995
Lines are open 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday Or email us

More from us


We use our clients' experience to campaign for positive change, locally and nationally. See our latest campaigns, read our research and find out about the impact of our advice.


Opening times and where to find us

Latest update on face to face services





Subscribe to our newsletter

For our latest news, events and services sign up to our email newsletter.

Volunteer with us

Our highly trained volunteers come from a range of backgrounds and help with everything we do. 

Could you join them? 

Volunteer opportunities

Have we helped?

When we promote our work to the people who need us and the people who fund us, we rely on being able to tell real-life success stories about the difference we’ve made to people’s lives.

Your stories

Contact us
Please use this form to contact us, or to get advice by email.

We aim to respond to your enquiry within 5 working days. If you don’t get a reply in your inbox, please check your spam or junk folder.

To contact us for advice by phone, call: 0808 278 7995
(Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm. Closed on public holidays).

Or for more ways to get advice click here.

Fields marked with ( * ) are required.
1000 characters left
Your personal information

When you provide us with personal information, for example, when using this form to contact us, we take steps to ensure that your information is treated securely.

We need to record information about you to help with your enquiry. We have a legitimate interest to do this.

We keep what you tell us safe and confidential and you always decide what you share with us. You can read more about how we handle and store your data in our privacy policy (this will open in a new window, so that any information you have already added to this form will be kept in this window)

We need your explicit consent to keep some information, including your ethnicity, religion, health conditions, sexual orientation, and trade union membership.

If you agree, we’ll use this information, which is known as ‘special category personal data’ to:
● give you advice
● help us gather data to improve our service
● support our research in a way that you can’t be identified

For example, if you need advice about claiming certain benefits, you may want to tell us about health problems you have which may be relevant to your enquiry.

By ticking the boxes below you consent to Citizens Advice recording the special category personal data you choose to provide Citizens Advice.

We’ll make sure all your information is kept safe and secure.

Yes, I consent to you holding information on my (please tick all of those you agree to):
Can we contact you for feedback?

We want to make sure our service meets your needs. To help us understand how we’re doing and to improve our service, we may want to contact you at a later date to ask for your feedback. Sometimes we need a trusted research organisation to help us do that.

We’ll decide who we contact for feedback based on the services you used and the advice area. We may also use your special category data so that we hear from different groups.

If you agree to us getting in touch for feedback please let us know how you’d prefer to be contacted by ticking the boxes below.

I agree to Citizens Advice selecting me for feedback using my information and I give permission to be contacted for feedback by (please tick all that apply):