job hunting online using a laptopFrom 1 July people claiming Universal Credit will begin to see a return of job-seeking requirements, which have been paused since 30 March due to Covid-19. 

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has said work coaches will be calling all claimants to help them prepare for work, although what people will need to do will depend on their Claimant Commitment. This is a document people need to agree to as part of getting Universal Credit.

The types of job-seeking activities people will be asked to do will vary depending on factors such as their health, current circumstances and which “conditionality” group they have been placed in. There are four groups, which set out the tasks they’re expected to complete in order to receive their full benefit payment. 

People who are in the All Work-Related Requirements Group usually have to, in the government’s words, do “all they can” to find a job or earn more. It promised they would not be penalised if they could not look for a job up until 30 June. From 1 July, the government has said it will take a “common-sense” approach to the job-hunting rules. 

Given many people have claimed Universal Credit for the first time during lockdown, Citizens Advice has set out the answers to some common questions our advisers are seeing: 

  1. What do I need to do to receive my Universal Credit?

    After applying for Universal Credit you should have been put in one the four “conditionality” groups. You can check which group you’re in by logging into your Universal Credit account online and checking your Claimant Commitment. This will tell you which group you’re in and what tasks you'll have to do regularly to get Universal Credit.These tasks could include writing your CV, signing up for job alerts or applying for vacancies.
    Some claimants who have not had a Jobcentre interview may not have a Claimant Commitment yet. The Department for Work and Pensions has said it will be calling all claimants to help them prepare for work, so people should expect to be contacted to set up the Claimant Commitment. The tasks you need to complete will depend on your Claimant Commitment.

  2. Does everyone claiming Universal Credit have to look for work?

    Most people will probably be put in the All Work-Related Requirements Group if they’re able to work. Depending on your circumstances, however, you might be put in a different “conditionality” group, say if you have children under the age of three, or are pregnant or disabled.
    In some cases you won't have to take any steps to prepare for work or improve your skills, in other cases you may have to have interviews with your work coach. You can check which group you’re in, and what you must do to receive your full Universal Credit payment, by logging into your Universal Credit account online. 
  3. What happens if I don’t meet the requirements?

    Failing to carry out the tasks set out in your Claimant Commitment could mean your Universal Credit payment is temporarily reduced, which is known as a sanction. The amount your Universal Credit will be reduced depends on factors such as how long the sanction lasts, and how quickly you complete the outstanding tasks. See for more information.
  4. What if there are no jobs available?

    It’s very tricky for many who are job hunting at the moment, and it’s clear that finding jobs to apply for will be harder than usual. In order to show how you have completed the to-do list set out in your Claimant Commitment, try and keep a diary of the tasks you’ve done and how long they took, e.g. signing up to a recruitment agency. 

  5. Do I have to go to the Jobcentre to carry on claiming Universal Credit? 

    Usually you would need to go to the Jobcentre to have regular meetings with your work coach. You should agree with your work coach which tasks need to be done as part of the claimant commitment. The government cancelled all face-to-face appointments in March but has said that it will start to reopen Jobcentres from July. The DWP says people can make an appointment with their work coach if they can’t get the help they want online or over the phone. 

  6. How do I challenge a Universal Credit decision?

    You need to tell your work coach as soon as possible if you’re in the wrong “conditionality” group. Explain which exceptions apply and show them any evidence you can - for example a letter from your doctor if you’re sick, or the birth certificate for a child you care for.
    If your work coach won’t change your work-related activity group, you can complain to the Department for Work and Pensions. If you get a sanction even though you’ve explained your situation to your work coach, you can challenge the decision by asking for what is called a mandatory reconsideration.

If you need more information or advice about Universal Credit and job-seeking requirements,

you can contact us:

by phone on 03444 111 444 (lines are open: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, closed on bank holidays);

or by email.

Advice and support if you want to apply for Universal credit:

If you're seeking to make a new claim for Universal Credit and need advice or support to apply, you can call our freephone Universal Credit Help to Claim line on 0800 144 8 444.

Our Help to Claim service can support you in the early stages of your Universal Credit claim, from the application, through to your first payment.

Help to Claim is a dedicated service from Citizens Advice. It’s free, independent and confidential. Our trained advisers can help with things like how to gather evidence for your application.

Call us for free: 0800 144 8 444
Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm

First published: 3 July 2020


Contact us
Please use this form to contact us, or to get advice by email.

We aim to respond to your enquiry within 5 working days.

To contact us for advice by phone, call: 0800 144 88 48 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Closed on public holidays).

Or for more ways to get advice click here.

Fields marked with ( * ) are required.
1000 characters left
Your personal information

When you provide us with personal information, for example, when using this form to contact us, we take steps to ensure that your information is treated securely.

We need to record information about you to help with your enquiry. We have a legitimate interest to do this.

We keep what you tell us safe and confidential and you always decide what you share with us. You can read more about how we handle and store your data in our privacy policy (this will open in a new window, so that any information you have already added to this form will be kept in this window)

We need your explicit consent to keep some information, including your ethnicity, religion, health conditions, sexual orientation, and trade union membership.

If you agree, we’ll use this information, which is known as ‘special category personal data’ to:
● give you advice
● help us gather data to improve our service
● support our research in a way that you can’t be identified

For example, if you need advice about claiming certain benefits, you may want to tell us about health problems you have which may be relevant to your enquiry.

By ticking the boxes below you consent to Citizens Advice recording the special category personal data you choose to provide Citizens Advice.

We’ll make sure all your information is kept safe and secure.

Yes, I consent to you holding information on my (please tick all of those you agree to):
Can we contact you for feedback?

We want to make sure our service meets your needs. To help us understand how we’re doing and to improve our service, we may want to contact you at a later date to ask for your feedback. Sometimes we need a trusted research organisation to help us do that.

We’ll decide who we contact for feedback based on the services you used and the advice area. We may also use your special category data so that we hear from different groups.

If you agree to us getting in touch for feedback please let us know how you’d prefer to be contacted by ticking the boxes below.

I agree to Citizens Advice selecting me for feedback using my information and I give permission to be contacted for feedback by (please tick all that apply):

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.