CoronavirusAdvice experts in Wiltshire say they have seen an influx of calls and emails for help with accessing financial support in the light of the coronavirus outbreak

Published: Thursday 2 April 2020

Citizens Advice Wiltshire is currently closed to face to face enquiries, but advisers are still helping people by phone and email.

Managers say they are dealing with a large number of queries from people whose employment has been affected by the coronavirus crisis.

Suzanne Wigmore, CEO of Citizens Advice Wiltshire, said:

“The biggest area of enquiries we are getting at the moment are work-related.

“We are getting about three times the number of calls we normally would from people concerned about their employment status and how this affects their income.

“Some are saying they have been furloughed, or laid off, or made redundant and they’re not sure what financial help they can get.

“People are very concerned, understandably. Many will never have found themselves in a situation like this before, like having to apply for benefits. 

“A lot of what we are doing is explaining to people how this affects their personal circumstances, whether they qualify for certain support, what the process is and, particularly in the cases of those needing to make a claim for, how to apply.

“Our staff and volunteers are working hard to deliver advice services from their own homes, and have been fantastic in adapting to this new way of working, virtually overnight. I’d like to say a massive thank you to them.

“For more than 80 years Citizens Advice has been here to help people in difficult times and we will continue to be here to give people the knowledge and confidence they need now.

“Unfortunately, we have taken the decision to suspend face-to-face services for the foreseeable future to support the government’s latest guidelines.

“We’ll continue to offer advice over the telephone on our Adviceline, and by email through our local website. People looking for advice can also chat to an advisor online at the Citizens Advice website.”

There are a number of ways people can continue to get advice during this time:

  • General advice will be given via our Adviceline which people can reach by calling 0800 144 8848. This is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.
  • People can find frequently updated advice on a range of issues related to the Coronavirus outbreak at
  • People looking for advice on consumer issues (e.g. issues related to products or services you've purchased) can contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133 or chat online to an advisor on the Citizens Advice website
  • Anyone seeking to make a new claim for Universal Credit should call the Universal Credit Help to Claim line on 0800 144 8 444. 
  • Waiting times for these services may be slightly longer than usual as we adapt to our new patterns of working.


Contact us
Please use this form to get advice or to contact us.

We will usually respond to your enquiry by email, however sometimes we may need to call you (for example a foodbank request). We aim to respond to your enquiry within 5 working days, however during busy times it may take a little longer. Please check your junk and spam folders if you have not received a response.

If your enquiry is urgent, it’s usually better to call us on 0808 278 7995 (Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm. Closed on public holidays).
For more ways to get advice, click here.

Note: We are only able to give advice to Wiltshire residents. If you live outside Wiltshire you can find your nearest Citizens Advice here.

Your personal information
We need to record information about you to help with your enquiry. We have a legitimate interest to do this. We collect and use your personal information to help with your problem, improve our services and tackle wider issues in society that affect people’s lives. We keep what you tell us safe and confidential and you always decide what you share with us. You can read more about how we handle and store your data in our privacy policy.

Your details
If you are contacting us on behalf of someone else (family member, friend etc), there is limited information we can provide. Please get them to contact us themselves to allow us to provide the best service.

Fields marked with ( * ) are required.
If you don’t have a phone or don’t want us to call you, please write N/A.
Special category personal data
We need your consent to record and use your special category data, which includes information about your ethnicity, health / disability, religion, sexual orientation, or trade union membership. We will only use this information for the purposes detailed in our data protection statement. Without this explicit consent we may not be able to give you full advice.
1500 characters left
Can we contact you for feedback? We want to make sure our service meets your needs. To help us understand how we’re doing and to improve our service, we may want to contact you at a later date to ask for your feedback. Sometimes we need a trusted research organisation to help us do that.

We’ll decide who we contact for feedback based on the services you used and the advice area. We may also use your special category data so that we hear from different groups.

If you agree to us getting in touch for feedback please let us know how you’d prefer to be contacted by ticking the boxes below.

I agree to Citizens Advice selecting me for feedback using my information and I give permission to be contacted for feedback by (please tick all that apply):